Tuesday 10 September 2013

Clive's Camino - the first 5 days...

My Family, friends, supporters and soon to be supporters,

I have now completed my fifth day on the Camino. I wanted to give you a brief update of my progress.


I arrived in Bilbao, Spain. My purpose was to see Frank Gehrey's Guggenheim Museum, which was opened 16 years ago to international acclaim.
 

Thrilled I did it. 
An unbelievable building. 



On Thursday I took a 5hr bus and train trip to St. Jean Pied de Port, the start of the Camino. I moved my start day up and prepared to leave the next morning.


The start of the Camino is considered the most difficult test. It is a 25 km trek, from France over the Pyrenees into Spain. And to be quite frank, it was incredibly challenging. It took me 7 1/2 hours and I climbed over 4500 vertical feet. And of course, I am carrying a 20 pound knap sack on my back.



The Pyrannes
I arrived in a small town called Roncesvalles and had my first real evening of Camino community. Everyone had just completed the same challenge, everyone was delighted to get settled, and have a beer and get to know one another.

And there are people from all over the globe. Scandinavia, United States, France, Canada, Israel, Spain and today for the first time in my life, I met a couple from Greenland.

A pattern then began to emerge. I would get up early, have a good breakfast and begin my day's journey on the Camino. Many are out by 6 AM or 6:30 AM, but it is still dark at that time. I tend to start at 7:30 AM, when there is light.



Roncasvilles to Larrasoana

I stop at least once or twice during the day's walk, to rest, have something to drink or eat and take my shoes off to rest my feet.
 

Please enjoy some pictures that I have taken along the way, showing you some of the sites of northern Spain on the Camino.


Alto del Perdon
790 metres
Wrought iron representation

I arrive at my destination, which is generally 25 km a day by mid afternoon. I get my accommodation set up, change my clothes, do a washing, and go somewhere to have a beer.



Leaving Pamplona early morning

I am writing this, from a small town in Spain called Estella. After writing to you about my first week, I will join some others from the Camino and have dinner this evening in the Estella's Central Square.
 

And then up at dawn and off tomorrow on the next leg of the Camino. I have trekked 115kms with much ahead.

Again, I wish to thank those of you who have given your support, for Urban Squash, something that is really making a difference in the Jane and Finch area of Toronto.

For those who haven't yet, may I please continue to encourage you to support this initiative. I would be most appreciative. It is a great cause.

That's all for now. I promised to keep this short and sweet.
 

I will continue to keep you updated with my progress. Not only on this wonderful adventure, but also with our fundraising results, and some more information about Urban Squash.

My best to you all,

Clive


2 comments:

  1. Incredible start! Wishing you continued success through your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that You are making this endeavour at age 62 Clive! It is on my 'Bucket List' to do before age 70. I've spent the last 2 years (2200 Hours) becoming a Certified Shiatsu Therapist & would like to take this opportunity to offer you a gratis Shiatsu Massage upon Your return. Blessings Kiddo ....

    ReplyDelete